Wolf Trax DDP Nutrients Improve Potato Yield, Quality and ReturnBy Wolf Trax
The Importance of Micronutrients to Potato Fertilizer
Potatoes have high nutrient requirements. And because they are often planted into coarsely textured soils, potatoes can be prone to micronutrient deficiencies. These deficiencies may reduce plant growth, yield and quality. For example, a lack of boron during the season can reduce tuber size and quality.
Understanding which potato fertilizer sources can provide the nutrition needed – when it’s needed – is important for potato growers.
Potato Fertilizer Field Trials with Wolf Trax DDP Nutrients
In 2014, Holland Agricultural Services conducted fertilizer trials in the central portion of the Columbia Basin, near Othello, Washington. The replicated trial was designed to evaluate the role micronutrients play in potato yield, quality and profitability. It compared three fertilizer treatments:
- Grower Standard N-P-K-S with no micronutrients
- Grower Standard N-P-K-S with granular zinc sulfate and granular boron
- Grower Standard N-P-K-S with Wolf Trax Zinc DDP® and Boron DDP
In general, the fertilizer trial showed that micronutrients can have a big impact on potato yield and quality, and therefore, return per acre.
The above chart shows how both micronutrient treatments increased yield and quality. However, Wolf Trax DDP Nutrients increased the amount of U.S. #1 potatoes by an additional 11 percent compared to granular micronutrients. The Wolf Trax treatment also increased potato size, with the most U.S. #1 potatoes greater than 6 ounces.
At $8.50 cwt potato price, these yield and quality improvements translated to:
- $224 more gross revenue per acre over the Grower Standard practices
- $159 more than the granular micronutrients
For more details of this trial, download the Field Insights pdf here.
While this trial focused on zinc and boron, farmers need to select the right micronutrients for their growing conditions. Any combination of Wolf Trax DDP Nutrients can be coated onto dry fertilizer. To see the full line-up of Wolf Trax products, click here.
Proven, Premium Potato Fertilizers from Compass Minerals
Third-party field trials have proven the performance of Compass Minerals premium fertilizers in potato production:
- Protassium+ premium sulfate of potash improves potato yield, quality and storability compared to muriate of potash (MOP) or potassium chloride
- Nu-Trax P+ with CropStart Technology increases the farmer’s return-per-acre through better phosphorus nutrition early in the season
Learn more about these trial results and the Compass Minerals plant nutrition products in the Spudman potato fertilizer webinar series. You can view the webinars at any time online.